Sunday, January 08, 2006

In the night, his song shall be with me...

Why?

The evil one word question that manages to plague everyone during multiple points in time over emotions of varrying degrees of goodness.


[Please note that I'm preaching more at myself than anyone else. I just felt the need to express it in writing. It seems to make things a bit more solid at times.]

You tend to ask yourself "why" over and over again when you've done nothing, and yet the result was so opposite of what you expected. (And do please note that the results can be both good and simply not so good. I am convinced that for a child of God, there is no bad.)

I have found that there are times when that question actually does some good and provides a mechanism for making yourself think about the root of whatever issue that's just been bothering you.

Sometimes, however, the question is merely an expression of helplessness over a situation, circumstances, or precepts that cannot be altered.

In that case, rather than torturing yourself with what you did or did not do, I've come to realize that there's nothing to be done about the past. The future is still in the future, and all you've got is the present. Certainly learn from the past. But don't obsess over something that cannot be changed.

Socrates once said that "the unexamined life is not worth living." And he's quite right. One must know most of the why's and wherefores of life, otherwise, there's no point.

But when you've hit a brick wall on something that cannot be changed no matter how you look at it, smile and realize that you live and learn. Hurt and happiness come and go, but joy is a constant when your eyes are on God.


So even though life gets tough and feels like you're playing the violin in public and learning the instrument as you go on, or you toss and turn at night wondering "why? why me?", as long as your focus is Christ "Yet the Lord will command his lovingkindness in the day time, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life."




My love to you all, and welcome to my site.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Yay! Now you're cool like me!

rachel said...

Excellent post.